Thursday 25 March 2010

The Tale of the Giant Granny Square.

Yep...it's stash blanket time again! I've supplemented the by now, rather folorn-looking stash basket with a few balls of acrylic yarn.


 Stylecraft acrylic has some gorgeous jewel colours that I love (teal, violet and bright pink...hmmmm!)! I know, not everyone's a fan of the old synthetics but when you have a dribbly puppy and one heck of a messy (read: lazy) owner, it's quite good to have something super-washable. My favourite ripple blanket I made a while back was full of lovely cashwoolmerinoalpacamohair type content, but it's felted a teeny bit because I stuck it in the washing machine. (gasp!) Life's too short to stuff a mushroom and all that...at least it has, um, an 'interesting' chunky texture to it now...!

The blanket I'm working on now is a monster of a granny square. It started off okay, and I was enjoying it. Until about round 16 when I realised that each round was only going to get longer...and longer...! It's the trade-off for not having to sew squares together, though. I'll probably end up doing rows-within-rounds, changing colour every so often to stop me going spare! It's not grown a huge amount, despite 16+ rounds... It's the perfect Trixie size though:


And here she is proving that acrylic yarn is FUN!!11!!1! and rather delicious, too:


Maybe the lack of enthusiasm for the Biggest Granny Square in the World will spur me onto finishing the second Monkey sock...you never know!

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.