Tuesday 23 March 2010

Smashing!

I spent Sunday afternoon doing something absolutely *smashing* (hohoho)! I've been dabbling in mosaicking (that verb looks wrong...but it needs a K in there, right?). I've already accumulated a sizeable collection of blue and white shards found out and about on my walks, but I need a bit more. So I started on my huge collection of dust-catchers.


 Take one Royal Albert china cup and saucer. Apply hammer liberally to its backside (if you can bear to!), covering with an old towel and a plastic bag...


 I'm sure if you found its point of resonance you could hit a high note and smash it that way but my soprano days are over so the hammer has to do! It looks awfully destructive, doesn't it? But it was just sitting there on my shelf and I never got to see the pretty pattern - which is inside the cup. Presumably as some sort of surprise to spring on your guests whom you were having round for 'high tea'? Once they'd imbibed their cup of Earl Grey they found - but o! - a most beautifully delicate posy in their cup and said the 1920's high-society equivalent of "OMG! OMG!!". Oh I bet that was such fun to do in those days. Without television. Or the internet. Or the Wii. (Wii Surprise China Teacups. Ever played that?) (Aside: I just tried reading Virginia Woolf's diaries. Unreadable because she comes across as a snob of a woman. Most of the time she spent lamenting that there weren't any suitable 'Tea-Shops' in Manchester or anywhere else she visited Oooop Noorth. I wouldn't be surprised if that is why she put stones in her pockets and ran out to sea. The lack of tea-shops...)


A whole Sunday afternoon of this sort of thing:



...and I amassed quite a little collection. (yes, I know, she gets everywhere...it's unavoidable).


A word to the wise: it's good to follow health & safety rules when you're doing this kind of thing. I found this out to my cost. GLOVES next time woman!!


Apart from mucking about with pots, I put some YARNNNNN on the website too...go and have a look
here! See you in the shop soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! Looks like you had a 'smashing time' this weekend! Look forward to seeing mosaic - ed. Such pretty china too. Just poppped across to look at the new yarns. Some very pretty colours. I love the 6x30 g bundles... just right for sock yarn blankies. I'll have to be a bit quicker next though! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mini-skeins. I just couldn't resist them! They were calling out to me to become part of my sock yarn blankie!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.